Kindness & Creativity

Hanging on by a Thread

Embroidery as a Mindfulness Tool

Some art activities engage more mindfulness than others, though the way that I relate to and engage with arts and crafts and my motivation for doing so is likely different from you – we all experience life so differently. What I do know is,  I have found embroidery incredibly calming, much more so than drawing or painting. With every new stitch I feel my body and mind finding calm and clear. For this reason, I have found myself going back for more and more. In hard times it is so important we find the activities that ground us and create calm. So why has embroidery had this effect on me?

Now, I am surely not the first person to notice this, so I do not claim the idea to be my own, but I started noticing that I have been following my stitches with my breath. Down stitch – exhale, back up, inhale. This deep and rhythmic breathing (often along to calming lyric-less music) allows for relaxation and focus on the present which is a key component of any mindfulness tool.

Learning the Basics

To start I popped over to Jaunt with Juli and followed the video suggested there to learn some basic stitching patterns and techniques.

Running Stitch, Back Stitch, Split Stitch, Chain Stitch, Stem Stitch, Satin Stitch, and French Knots

With some base knowledge I jumped into trying to combine the stitches and play with tension. I created a few hearts with a split stitch and filled them with the satin stitch. I then tried layering threads to create dimension in a greenery branch.  After filling the embroidery hoop and feeling confident and excited I moved on to a new idea…

Here are some tips I used to embroidery for mindfulness:

• find a space where you feel comfortable
  • organize your supplies near you
  • relax your shoulders
  • choose a simple repetitive stitch
  • choose a stitch that you enjoy
  • let yourself work slow
  •  focus on your breath
  • focus on your tactile sense
  • if you find your mind wandering remember your breath and your tactile sense
  •  find a saying/mantra to ground you back in the present

Catch my next post to see how it went,

Hope you are hydrated and happy!

Photo by Thea Hdc on Unsplash

Gifs by @harmonie-aupetit on Giphy 

« »