Kindness & Creativity

3. Interlinked

Jesse Miller, founder of Mediated Reality and UVic Professor guested in the EDCI 336  class that is responsible for me creating this blog in the first place. Miller gave an engaging and eye-opening lecture on digital literacy and professionalism in our ‘mediated reality’ online. This post is inspired by that lecture. 

For much of my life that I remember, I have lived in a physical world interlinked with a digital world. Today I have a private Instagram and Facebook as well as  a public Twitter account. I use them frequently to learn, share, connect, and mindlessly scroll for unspeakable amounts of time. I am almost always connected.

Miller spoke about the texts many of us have sent, “sorry, I was just…” Throughout the day there is an expectation that I am reachable because of this which can cause a lot of anxiety. Apologizing for not answering within minutes or even second is a new phenomena, and it is one that I am trying to steer away from. It is can be difficult when notifications show up everywhere, and while you can turn them off there is then a chance to miss something important (especially during a time when people are working and spending more time from home).

Here are some things I do to try and stay happy, healthy, and safe in regards to technology use:

1. Bookmark folders – Figuring out how to use bookmarks effectively on Google Chrome has been life changing saving me so much time searching the internet for my classes and classwork. If you do not use them I highly suggest clicking the three dotes in the top right-hand corner of your browser to reveal a drop-down menu that includes “Bookmarks”. Seriously, not an exaggeration, life changing. I have a bookmark folder for blogs I follow (less intimidating than some of the resources provided for bloggers). Most importantly, I have a bookmark folder for each class where I bookmark:
    1. Google Doc for note taking (that has a class zoom link)
    2. Class Syllabus
    3. Google Drive folder where I upload resources
  2. Unplug – Sometimes all it takes is going on a walk without a phone to ground myself. Try plugging your phone in away from your bed and not touching it for two-three hours before bed.
  3. Clear your history and cookies – (but write down your passwords first and don’t blame me if you forget 😉)
  4. Move your body – Keep an eye on the clock or set reminders to get up and get away from the screens, even if only for five minutes to make some tea, water your plants, hydrate yourself, rest your eyes, etc.
  5. Growth mindset – Keep your mind open to learning and experimenting with new technology. If it is difficult you are doing your best learning!
  6. Forgive – It is okay if some days you do not make time for these suggestions or other changes you are working towards. It is okay if you are stressed or overwhelmed. Take some healing deep breaths, and forgive yourself. There is always time to try your best tomorrow.

Best,

Ashley

Credits:

« »